Friday, December 30, 2011

Secret Collation

Whenever a movie or television show dealing with the intelligence community shows a room wherein secret discussions are being held, there are always professional looking binders containing pertinent information laying around.  Who prepares these?

Only one of the following scenarios can be true:

A man walks into an austere office at Langley.

"Have a seat Bob.  I've got good news and bad news."

"Oh?"

"We are moving to sponsor your top secret clearance."

"That's great.  What's the bad news?"

"Well, the trouble is, at this level, our briefings and documents are obviously more sensitive-"

"-Of course - "

"- but still require the same level of professional production value."

"...Okay..."

"Do you see where this is going, Bob?"

"No."

"Well, we can't exactly have this kind of information getting jammed in a copier somewhere down the hall.  All of our best secretarial talent tops out at "secret" level stuff.  In other words, Bob, you'll be making your own reports and binders from here on out."

"No."

"I'm afraid so.  Look, it happens to all of us.  Look at me; I'm 65, when i got my clearance, I had to pump that poisonous ink into a mimeograph machine.  It is what it is buddy.  Otherwise, we'd have a pile of dead temps at the end of every week."

[both men cackle whitely.]

Or...

An older woman walks into an austere office at Langley.

"Thanks for getting these briefings together so quickly, Rose.  I don't know what I'd do without you."

"Your welcome."

"Say, Rose?  Can I ask you something?

"Yes?"

"Ever read any of this?"  (Holds up briefing)

"What?"

"This.  The briefings."

"I don't think so.  No."

"But...you'd have to?  Right?  I mean, to check for typos, grammar, content.  That sort of thing."

"Oh, I don't think so."

"Rose."

"Yes."

"Part of what we do here, is determine when a lie is being told.  You know that right?  A large part."

"Where are we?"

"Rose."

"Suddenly, I don't know where I am - "

"- Rose - "

" - I should go and lie down.  (Hurriedly leaving)  At my house.  Right now - "

"- Rose - "

" - Or see my sister.  Who's been ill - in Venezuela - " (Running now)

"Rose!  Who has a gun?  Anyone?  Damn.  Someone shoot her."

No comments:

Post a Comment